Hundreds of years before either the red man or the white man came to this land, a mysterious race called the Adena Indians built an enclosure of earthworks from three to ten feet high and fifty feet wide at the base. The earthworks enclosed their village, the site of which now comprises the "downtown area" of Miamisburg.
Centuries later, the valley between the Great and Little Miami Rivers was the hunting grounds for the Miami Indians, a tribe of the Miami Confederation. Their "stamping grounds" and villages were located on the west side of the river; a short distance north of what we now call "downtown" Miamisburg.
When the Greenville Treaty was signed in 1795, essentially ending the Indian resistance in the Northwest Territory, settlers began arriving in the lush Miami Valley. The first to arrive in what is now Miamisburg was Zachariah Hole, who came with his family from Virginia in 1797. Fearing trouble with the Indians, he built a stockade on the East bank of the Miami River opposite the mouth of Bear Creek. They were followed by other settlers who lived within the stockade until their own cabins could be built on land given them by land grants from the federal government.
On February 20, 1818, Drs. John and Peter Treon, Emanuel Gebhart and Jacob Kercher, offered for sale ninety lots on the East bank of the river. Thus Miamisburg came into existence - the only city by that name in the world.
In the ensuing years Miamisburg grew and prospered. Transportation was a key to its development with good access provided by the river, the Miami-Erie Canal, the railroads and the highways - all of which are still evident in this thriving community - you just have to know where to look!
We are a non-profit organization and welcome any kind of support. If you would like to help out, please contact us for a list of our most needed items or volunteer opportunities.
Miamisburg Historical Society
4 N Main St
Miamisburg, Ohio 45342
Phone: +1 937 8595000+1 937 8595000